Detroit, Mich. (1 June 2014) – After racing from 19th on the grid to finish fourth in the first race of the Detroit Grand Prix weekend on Saturday, Justin Wilson was looking to go one spot better on Sunday with a return to the Detroit podium in race two for Dale Coyne Racing.

But after getting caught up in someone else’s incident on lap two, Wilson was left fighting back through the field with a battered car to finish 12th in Dual 2 on Sunday.
Wilson started the Verizon IndyCar Series race from the seventh row, and immediately had his workload increased on the first green flag lap of the race as two cars ahead of him got together in Turn 4. Wilson was unable to avoid the incident, making contact with the No. 15 of Graham Rahal and forced to pit lane for a new nose, four Firestone Black tires and a top off of fuel.
Quick work by the Dale Coyne Racing crew saw Wilson return the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Honda to the track on the lead lap in 20th position.
“We’ll just have to do what we did yesterday again,” radioed Wilson as he prepared for the race restart.
But the return to full speed running revealed that the car had sustained damage, making the car a challenge to dial in and keep a progressive race pace. But some canny Mike Cannon strategy saw Wilson back up in to the top ten soon there after before a lap 22 pit stop to give the No. 19 Boy Scouts of America Dallara/Honda a tank of fuel, four sticker black tires and an adjustment to the front wing.
Wilson returned 22nd in the order and as the other cars ahead of him made their pit stops, he found himself 11th as the race reached the half way mark. He continued to cycle forward all the way up to seventh before he made his final pit stop for another set of black tires, fuel and one turn of front wing under green flag conditions.
The No. 19 Honda took to the track 16th and had progressed to 13th when a full course caution was displayed with 11 laps remaining. He restarted 13th, but the green flag running didn’t last long as another yellow was displayed for an incident directly ahead of him, which the veteran driver narrowly avoided.
The final full course caution set up a three-lap dash to the finish and Wilson restarted 12th. As the entire Verizon IndyCar Series set out to do battle in the closing laps, Wilson hung on for 12th at the checkered flag.
“Someone stuffed it in there and was stopped and I just ran into the back of him,” said Wilson of the first lap incident. “The car felt bent and from that point on it was just about trying to get to the finish. For a while there I thought we could get a decent result but it’s just hard on the restarts when things aren’t tracking straight. It’s a disappointing result today, but we’ll just have to keep working on it. Yesterday we were in the right place at the right time and today we were in the wrong place at the wrong time every single time.”
Wilson will get right back to work for the next event as it’s another quick turnaround when the Verizon IndyCar Series travels to Texas Motor Speedway next weekend where Wilson hopes to return to victory lane after taking the win there in 2012.